Some employers have asked whether they can extend the deadline for employees to file flexible spending account claims. Most plans required employees to file claims within three months of the end of the plan year. For calendar year plans, this deadline would be March 31. The deadline for filing claims (but not the deadline for...
HSA Tax Time Tips
Those with an HSA have to take a few additional steps when filing taxes. Follow our checklist to ensure you don’t miss anything.
If you have an HSA, before you file taxes:
- Check your payroll contributions on your W-2.
- If you added funds, collect your 5498-SA form for contributions.
- If you spent funds, collect your 1099-SA form for distributions.
- Use Form 8889 to report contributions and distributions.
- Fill out Form 1040 using Form 8889.
- Make sure to complete additional HSA contributions before April 1.